Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

David Guterson, Author in Cedar Hills

David Guterson, author of "Snow Falling On Cedars" was reading from his new book, "The Other" on Monday night, June 8th in Cedar Hills at Powell's Book Store. He is the cousin of my cousin's wife once removed, so Lorraine and I drove all the way from Gresham to Cedar Hills to hear him and buy his book. Two other cousins showed up, and we were pleased to find most all the seats were filled with people who enjoy his books.

David's mother was from South Portland and lived very close to my grandmother near the Neighborhood House. David was brought up in Washington, but does get to Portland now and then. His new book is situated here and at Reed College, making it most interesting to me.

David made his name with the Japanese story taking place during the WWII in Washington winning a Peneaulkner Award with the book. I hope his new one does well. He used some words in his talk that I was unfamiliar with; what a vocabulary he has.

The two main characters in "The Other"graduated high school in 1974. They go in different directions.

Before he started writing he was a high school English teacher. I wonder if his students realized how gifted he is.

No comments: