Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

You Don't Mess With the Zohan

Last night my son and I went to see the new movie, You Don't Mess With the Zohan with Adam Sandler. My son is an adult. It's full of sex, so children shouldn't see it. It was so stupid that it was hilarious. What caught my ear were the Hebrew words and Israeli music that flowed through this absurd slapstick movie.

Adam plays the part of a superhero type Israeli terrorist fighter in the IDF. He can do things that even Superman can't do. But the poor soul doesn't like fighting. He really wants to cut hair, causing his parents to laugh and call him a faigalah.

Somehow he gets to the states where he pursues his desire to be a hair stylist and the hysterical antics continue. There is a lot of gross sex, mistreatment of animals, and fantasy fighting that takes the movie out of the reality realm. You laugh despite yourself. He is ridiculous. I can't decide who is funnier, this Zohan or Borat. They're both the same genre. Then again this has a message of peace. It shows how Palestinians and Israelis could actually get along.

None of us "normal" folks could ever think up a scenario like this movie presents. It truly has some shocking scenes. Some of the film was shot in Israel, so I got to see a glimpse of some beach resorts there. I enjoyed it very much. I needed a laugh.

No comments: